September 16, 2014

The Robe ... 61 years old today

I was fascinated when I saw "The Robe" as a kid. I had no idea who Richard Burton was or Jean Simmons. But the story caught my imagination. The Roman centurion who presided over the crucifixion and death of Jesus wins in a gambling game the outer garment of Jesus.

Regardless of its biblical accuracy or not, the story of the man who was following orders to crucify one more prisoner, a threat to Rome, has stayed with me.

If you've not ever seen it or not in a long time maybe it's time to find it. The story seems to be timeless. You won't be able to see it in CinemaScope (it was the first movie shot in that format according to imdb.com) but you'll get a story that may spark your imagination.

According to The Baltimore Sun's "On This Day in History" feature, "The Robe" premiered in New York City on this date in 1953.

--Dan Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions warmly welcome. Please be gentle.